Ode To A Withering Rose

Late in sharing but here I am, back with the NaPoWriMo2020 challenge and here's the one I wrote on Day 1 for the prompt "Elements of Nature'. 
Will be coming up with more poems in the days to come. Hope you continue to read and share your thoughts. Thanks.

Wonderstruck, i gaped at you,
clad in a green shawl and pearls of dew
in my garden you appeared
your cheeks flushed red
in the cold, damp winter air
your fragrant beauty filled my bower
with an inexplicable joy,
Mother Earth's own little boy
My heart brimmeth over
as destiny deigns to sweep you away
and bury you forever
in the lap of mother nature
you are withering
signs of life are depleting
i want to feel you once
before you perform your swan dance
you will always be cherished
but no, how can i be so self centered
how can i cause your death even before
your time runneth over
we are born of the five elements
fire, water, earth, air, space
to merge with them is our destiny
but why begin to mourn even before we die
so many beautiful memories of you
i will hold close in the recesses of my soul
your sweet fragrance, your hues
not mourning, only grateful
for your benevolence, my beloved red rose
even if the wait for you is perpetual,
i will keep hoping, praying for your resurgence
soon, wrapped in another green shawl.
Image credits: My own capture

Comments

Popular Posts