A Stranger's Hand Clutched In Mine - NaPoWriMo

April is Global Poetry writing month. 

According to Wikepedia, 'National Poetry Writing Month (also known as NaPoWriMo) is a creative writing project held annually in April in which participants attempt to write a poem each day for one month. NaPoWriMo coincides with the National Poetry Month in the United States of America and Canada.
Maureen Thorson, a poet and publisher of Big Game Books announced the project March 17, 2003 as an online project on her blog. She invited other poets with blogs to join her in the project and listed the participating poets. Thorson has continued to run the project each year on her blog with more poets participating as the word has spread about the project.'

With the passage of time, it has become quite popular and is followed globally now.

I am attempting NaPoWriMo for the first time. Wish me luck, guys!

I write my first poem on #Strangers.


A new dawn beckoned, awaited me a new beginning

Jittery I was, butterflies in my stomach fluttering.


Fresh scrubbed face, new satchel on the back dangling

We trudged along, my hand mother tightly holding.

'Oh god! So many people, in this humongous building

I will be lost forever, it's so scary and intimidating.

Don't leave me Mom', I begged, 'how will I find my way

You're my anchor, how will I survive without you'?

She kissed and patted my hand, smiled reassuringly

'I'll be back soon', ruffled my hair and promised lovingly.

Wiped a tear and withdrew slowly, 'don't fret, you'll be fine'

Nudged me away, a stranger's hand clutched in mine.

'I want to go home', I screamed and pushed the stranger,

She picked me up, hugged tightly and sat me on a chair.

Anxious, teary eyes stared at me in silent understanding

'Welcome to the school, kiddos', the teacher's voice was soothing.


#NaPoWriMo #Day1

Comments

  1. Well begun .... At the beginning.... All the best for the new project! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aruna ji! Looking forward to your support.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts